(Say That 3 Times Fast!)
I (Erika) have an addiction. I buy workout music constantly. If you pull up the genre in my iTunes, I have 8 DAYS of workout music. It occupies 9.52 GB of storage and 47% of my total music library. I don't even want to know how that translates into $$.
Growing up I loved Weird Al (still do). I listened to his music so much that the original versions of songs he parodies sound odd to me. The same holds true for Aerobic Music - Someone please stage an intervention!
I started, like most instructors, with my coveted mix tapes. Then upgraded to CD's like a big girl. Now I'm fully decked out with my own DJ software with the ability to manipulate the BPMs of any song and arrange them in whichever order I choose. (Cuz we all know there is always that ONE song, smack dab in the middle of a premade mix, that SUCKS and ruins the CHI of the whole workout.) My Aerobic CD Library is ready to go at a moment's notice to make the next prize winning workout mix. (Turns out, there's actually no prize for this)
I'd like to take this moment to publicly state too that I was so ahead of my time on this. There are now Tempo Apps that can manipulate your music for you, but before that, there was Erika playing around with her MixMeister software till the wee hours of the morning.
Now, everyone has the ability to purchase music a la carte with sites such as Clickmix, U-Mixit, and my personal favorite, YES! Fitness Music's MYMIX. And while all three of these sites allow you arrange the songs and BPMs as you'd like to make your own continuous mix, I still download them as separate songs and play around with my DJ software, as well as chop them up for my Tabata app, Seconds Pro Interval Timer. Despite 8 days worth of tunes from which to choose, I have "go to" songs that I totally overuse, but WHO CARES? They're awesome.
Now I know that there are Music apps, Music streaming services, different genre preferences, etc., so this is a very subjective and personal topic that can be debated endlessly. And you may sample these songs and think, Erika, your musical tastes suck! But I say you can't help tapping your toes to the 12 happy tunes listed below, and if you are a runner, I challenge you to download these songs and see if your pace doesn't improve!
Why 12 you ask and not 20 or 10? With YES! Fitness Music, you can purchase 12 songs for $15, so my brain works in 12 song chunks. Also, with each song lasting approx 5 minutes, you have an even 1 hour of running and workout music: And Remember, your can slow these down or speed them up depending on your pace and preference.
12. Cruel to be Kind - It's More of the embellished filler that psychs you up for the lyrics to start. This Song is also on one of my favorite CD's as well by Power Music, One Hit Wonders. I just did a search though, and it's not for sale at the moment.
11. Killing Me Softly - Interspersed with Rap parts, it keeps you moving from start to finish. ~Yes!FitnessMusic
10. Let it Go Vs Let Her Go - Anyone with little children is probably swearing at me right now to even bring "Let it Go" up - we were having so much fun up to this point. But trust me, this mashup is great. One Drawback with the Mash-ups, they can get busy if you are an instructor trying to cue over them. ~From YES! Fitness Music
9. Unchained Melody A.R Speedo Mix - This song starts like the love ballad original, then throws the driving drum beat behind it like a tons of bricks. Your energy level instantly goes to 11~From Yes! Fitness Music
8. Judgement Day - Featured in Jay Blahnik's Calorie Killer Workout (Only Available on VHS) and from MusicFlex (No longer a company), not so helpful, but still an awesome song.
7. Sweet Dreams - It's so Angry! Don't mess with anyone in my Kickboxing class when this is playing! ~Power Music, but only available from iTunes. Part of the Intense! Album Series, it's on the first one.
6. Jump vs California Gurls - Yes!Fitness Music. What's with the Mashups? Were they a thing before Glee? Anywho, this song is a perfect blend.
5. Rock Nation - A BK Howe Song that is featured in Athletic Step by Cathe Friedrich. It is so robust, that even Cathe comments what a great song it is in the workout. Full Disclosure, this version is slightly different than featured in Cathe. I can't find that one. Little TidBit: Anyone looking for songs featured in Cathe Videos, a good portion of them are at ClickMix rebranded under NU NRG as the artist. Not sure what's going on there, but oh well.
4. It's Raining Men - Need I elaborate?!? Only Downfall is to keep it a 32 Count song, it eliminates "Soaking" wet, so you get tripped up singing along. Also Available on the Awesome 80s Album.
3. All I Have to do is Dream (Dance Mix) - I love the original song. And when I saw it online, I thought, "Awww, that would be a nice song to have." Then I heard it and all bets were off. ~Yes! Fitness Music
2. The Tide is High Vs. Wild Ones - Another perfect combination! Nuff said.
~Yes! Fitness Music
1. - Get Into Magic - I am not sure this song is available for download anywhere any longer, but another BK Howe creation, this song is featured in two Cathe Friedrich Workouts, (Butt & Guts, and Low Impact Circuit) and it was love from the first note. An instrumental song, I have no idea what is so awesome about it, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Whenever it comes on in class, I yell, "This is my favorite aerobic song of all time!" And everyone rolls their eyes like, "We Know Erika, you tell us that every time"
I bought a new pair of dress shoes for work (bear with me, it has relevance to my sock review). As much as I’d love to always wear fancy, stylish shoes, I have a half mile walk into work, which makes practical shoes always the clear winner when deciding what I should wear on my feet.
I decided to forgo all common sense and purchase a pair of wedges that I absolutely loved.
I find that wearing shoes is somewhat similar to dating-at first, everything is great, you feel good and are quite happy with them. If after a while, you aren’t getting rubbed the wrong way, frustrated or wanting to toss them out the window, they are probably worth keeping.
Sadly, my wedges and I are going to break up. Fancy shoes are no longer fancy when you have 17 Band-Aids on your feet.
I was really regretting my decision to wear these shoes, since it was Tuesday- Six03 Pub Run night!
(see my previous post about my newfound love of group runs)
By the time I got home, the last thing I wanted to do was put on socks and running shoes
It was then that I remembered I had new socks from SLS3!
My immediate reaction was, “Clearly I haven’t learned by lesson-how about I stick to one new piece of footwear per day?” Again, against my better judgement, I decided to give them a try.
A lot of times, I have difficulty putting on socks similar to these-most are tight, and not stretchy. These were soft and fit perfectly (for reference, I wear a size 10 W and I received a pair of medium socks). Even though I had cuts all over my feet from the wedges, the socks did not rub or hurt AT ALL.
They were the perfect mix of comfort, breathability, support and style (I chose neon pink and yellow). These socks are well made, fit perfectly and I don’t foresee them having any hot spots that may lead to blisters with prolonged wear.
I really enjoyed receiving these socks and plan to purchase more!
If you are interested in purchasing some through Amazon, you can buy them here.
SLS3 has provided us with a discount code to share –
Use code DKJIJERK to receive $5.00 off a 3 - pack!
Bibs2Bags Would Like to Thank All Who participated!
Please join me in congratulating these awesome athletes!
1st Place - Steven B
I Love This Photo Because...
This Was Taken at the
2016 Boston Marine Corps Honor Run.
Throughout the Race, Veterans Along the Run Route
Thanked Me for Running With the Flag,
And It Was Me Who Thanked Them For Their Sacrifices.
I Love This Photo Because It Allows Me to Show My
Thanks and Gratitude To Our Veterans, and My Love of Our Country.
2nd Place - Maricel S
I Love This Photo Because...
I Need to Step It Up Because I Can See The Finish Line
3rd Place - Laura B
I Love This Photo Because...
It Involves My Running Family.
These Photos Make Me Smile When I Want to Frown and They Make Me Want to Be a Better Runner.
I Have Been Talked into Some Really Stupid Things by These People, Like Running UP a Mountain for Fun or Running 48 miles in Disney,
But I Wouldn't Change Any of the Experiences for a Million Dollars.
Without Them I Wouldn't Be Where I Am Today.
About The Authors
A 25 Year Veteran of the Group Fitness Industry, Erika currently teaches Kickboxing, Step, and H.I.I.T. classes at Guilford Parks & Rec.
An Avid Runner, Lisa began her running career about 10 Years Ago.